Monday 6 June 2016

Day 8: A Shameful Escape to the Isle of Arran


Thornhill to Brodick on the Isle of Arran: 67 miles 



Rich pasture land supporting grand houses like Drumlanrig Castle.  The drive is long rather than the castle being small.


Not so many pretty cottages but I thought this one  and a few other sights crept over the threshold for me to thrust my hands into my pocket and whip out my phone.





Another organic free range shetland pony farm. Remember to vote Remain on the 23 June if you want these two little beauties to be tethered to a butcher's block in France and thence onto Shetland Pony Valhalla together.


Thought I would include the picture of Ernest again just as a further reminder of the existential harm that would be inflicted on these little chaps if that cruel Leave campaign wins the day.



My favourite lamb shot of the day.


Bold and austere churches along the way.


Lots I could write here but Rosie thought my Cliburn blog entry was somewhat inappropriate so will just leave this place name to my imagination alone.


And another church. I find it fascinating that so much time and effort should have been put into creating such lovely buildings all based on a book mainly found in hotel rooms these days. Whatever the reason, and despite me not experiencing any mammoth shit induced religious epiphanies, I am very grateful to those who built these wonderful structures. I only wished me and My Little Rhino had had more time to cycle in and have a look around.


I am sure this sign was for me and my enduring guilt at starting that stampede off.


Blow me down if another NKRS35D hoarding did not hove into sight!


Real Scottish tenement buildings



And even a Proddy marching band to greet me and My Little Rhino as we rode into Ardrossan. Note the look the two drummers on the left are giving me. Its as if they knew about my stampede shame. Time to get on a boat to Brodick and leave it all behind.


But some seaside ice cream first


Just to explain the perspective in the picture below. Unlike the long drive and seemingly small castle picture at the beginning of this post, the mothers below are large and not far away. The Pram is a Williams Carbon Turbo 9000.


And so to the Ferry of forgiveness and absolution.



A first boat trip for My Little Rhino



Approaching Brodick



Into a B&B that has no name far from the mainland and my stampeding shame.



And that was the day that was on the Peak Tours Front Line.





















































No comments:

Post a Comment