Tuesday 24 May 2016

Day 4: From Nuts to Parallel Parking


Castle Donnington to Thornsett today into the Derbyshire Dales and what I think will be a flavour of what is to come as we go further north including the good (scenic distant views) and the bad (steep long climbs). And the day did not disappoint on both counts.



As an aside a typical Peak Tours day starts with attending to bikes and adjusting Lycra. Lubricants are applied to chains and other parts of the man and women machine interface.



 And so we baid farewell to those glittering spires in the distance. Or so I thought.


 And cycled through scenes that have probably not changed since the industrial revolution.


A museum featuring the exploits of Florence Bagsworth, an early female canal pioneer. This sign shows her, on 28 July 1843, doing the first female parallel park of a 70 ft canal boat. I think the painting speaks for itself of her endeavours that day. Her daughter pioneered the role of women as football lines persons until the off side rule was invented.



A picture of my nuts. I have this little container attached to my handle bars to feed bird like during the day. Trouble is bloody squirrels keep getting in there before me when I look away!


This picture is very much for John, the elder of the two Smith boys, who I had the pleasure of cycling with in France last year.  John was shocked when he stopped to assist me in my distress as I struggled to open my puncture repair kit without breaking my nails. Muttering something about soft southerners he barged me aside and before I could say where's the nearest nail bar he had fixed my puncture. He was horrified that I did not carry a spare inner tube, muttering something about ignorant southerners as he departed up the road at a pace that I imagine I will only reach if I go bungy jumping with My Little Rhino.



This was my favourite lane from today. Other than the earth's curvature it was flat and stretched into the distance. Whats not to like about that when there is no internal combustion engine pushing you along.


On the subject of energy I took this picture which shows two wind turbines, not rotating, next door to a gas powered power station. Hmm need to think more about that.......


And an interesting sign, to me at least, on a bridge that gave wonderful views east towards the gleaming spires of Radcliff on Sour power station and a river teeming with fish just prior to all them being parboiled by the cooling water as it passes the power station. The plaque speaks of a different era when local worthies actually built infrastructure off their own bat.





The East Midlands is a familiar part of the world to me having lived in Nottingham from 1985 till 2003 where I met and married my child bride Rosie. This pub is typical in so many ways, totally genuine (whatever that means) slightly down at heel and called the Vernon arms.



Slimming World is big and growing bigger in this part of the world where 90% of the world's pork scratchings output is consumed.


I have gone large on the picture of the sign for anyone who wants the contact details.


Out into the country where the mix between green and reddy brown brick work continues in a region that has been industrialised for 200 years.



 Yet more variety in the types of church to be seen by the slow moving cyclist.


A lane lined with wild garlic, the aroma was very strong. It clung like wet toilet paper and kept the flies off me for the rest of the day.


Looking back east after two hours cycling and I could still see those bloody glittering towers of Radcliff and Sour power station!


Coniston water.



A sign by the entrance to a caravan park next to the Coniston water with genuine views rather than whatever is not a genuine view?


And the stone walls really started.



A thankful village was one of only 51 in the whole of the UK that sent men to WW1 and got them all back!


 The village we stopped at for lunch.


 A bit of relaxation at the village children and young bikes play area. My Little Rhino had been going up and down dale all morning.







And if that was not enough bull for you, here's some more.


Into parts of Derbyshire rarely visited by people, let alone cyclists. There are reputedly tribes, or is that tribes reputedly, of East Midlanders living in this area yet to be contacted by 21 century man or woman.






So there you have it a part of the world where men are men, sheep look worried and women are... I think I better leave the name of this pub to allude to how that  last sentence could be completed.





I have decided not to make any further comments in connection with this sign as I would like to be able to return home at the end of this trip.

So 64 miles completed today, 5300 ft of climb. More of the same tomorrow. That is it from the Peak Tours Front Line.

1 comment:

  1. I've even been this far north and it looks great, but this bit about the Quiet Woman, come one, it's just fantasy. Rather like this tandem cycling photo here

    ReplyDelete